Sala Gaspar: The History


Barcelona gallery Sala Gaspar, famous for exhibiting the avant-garde work of artists such as Pablo Picasso, Savador Dalí, Joan Miró, Antoni Clavé, and Georges Braque, is the first of an expected 40 international galleries joining the art center.


The retrospective is a tribute to the history of the gallery and features exhibition posters made by artists over the years such as Andreu Alfaro, Alexander Calder, Clavé, Braque, Picasso, Antoni Tàpies, and Miró. Rounding out the historical review is a selection of photographs, letters, and documents, including photos of Picasso. The show also includes a list of the 600 gallery exhibitions organized from 1939 until its closure in 1996. Sala Gaspar was reopened in July of this year after a 17-year closure by Moishan Gaspar, grandson of the founder.

Sala Gaspar was founded in 1909 by Joan Gaspar Xalabarder as a frame and mirror shop. He soon began exhibiting the work of his artist friends, the generation of Catalan modernist painters, Elisha Meifrén, Ramon Casas, and Isidre Nonell. After the Spanish Civil War, his son Miguel Gaspar Paronella took over the business with his cousin Joan Gaspar, and expanded the gallery in 1944. The ‘50s marked a turning point in the history of the gallery, with the discovery of Clavé, which would be the first exhibition of a very long friendship and joint career. It was also in the ‘50s when “Gaspares” met Pablo Picasso, who organized the first exhibition in Spain after the civil war in 1955. From that exhibition occurred many more with the artist, 1960 being the most relevant for the quality, quantity, and significance of the works exhibited.


Crystal Gwyn


You must select a collection to display.